For people to visit Australia for a holiday, sightseeing, social or recreational reasons, to visit relatives, friends or for other short-term non-work purposes.

There are a number of visas available for people to visit Australia as a tourist.

Visa Options:

Electronic Travel Authority (Subclass 601):

An electronically stored authority for short-term visits to Australia of up to 3 months. Available to passport holders from a number of countries and regions, who are outside Australia.

eVisitors (Subclass 651):

An electronically stored authority for visits to Australia for tourism or business purposes for up to 3 months. Available to passport holders from the European Union and a number of other European countries, who are outside Australia.

Visitor Visa (Subclass 600):

A temporary visa allowing a stay in Australia of up to 3 or 6 or 12 months. Applicants can apply from both outside and in Australia. Some tourists or business visitors are eligible to lodge an online application for an e600 Tourist visa.


About Visitor visa (subclass 600):

The Visitor visa (subclass 600) is for people who want to travel Australia as tourists, for business or to visit family. It is a temporary visa.

This visa has four streams:

  1.     Tourist stream: for people travelling to Australia for a holiday, recreation or to visit family and friends. If you apply for this visa in Australia, you must be in Australia when the visa is decided. If you apply for this visa outside Australia, you must be outside Australia when the visa is decided.
  2.     Business Visitor stream: for business people travelling to Australia for a short business visit. This includes going to a conference, negotiation or meeting. You must be outside Australia when you apply and when the visa is decided.
  3.     Sponsored Family stream: for people travelling to Australia to visit their family. You must have a sponsor who might be asked to provide a bond. You must be outside Australia when you apply and when the visa is decided. You cannot apply for another visa after you have arrived in Australia.
  4.     Approved Destination Status stream: for people from the People’s Republic of China who are travelling in an organised tour group. You must be outside Australia when you apply and when the visa is decided.


What does this visitor visa subclass 600 visa let you do?

This visa lets you travel to Australia to:

  •     have a holiday or visit family and friends in Australia
  •     study in Australia for up to three months
  •     engage in business activities while in Australia, provided you:
    •         do not work for or provide services to a business or organisation in Australia
    •         do not sell goods or services to the public.

The department will tell you how many times you can enter Australia and on this visa:

    You may be allowed to enter only once. If so, you will need to apply for a new visa if you want to return to Australia again after you leave.

    You may be able to travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while your visa is valid, but the time you spend in Australia cannot be more than the period of stay that you have been granted.


Further Details  About Tourist Stream Visitor Visa subclass 600:

You must also be able to show that you are travelling to Australia as a genuine visitor, for example as a tourist, for recreation or to visit your family and friends.

    If you apply in Australia, you must be in Australia when the visa is decided.
    If you apply outside Australia, you must be outside Australia when the visa is decided.

If you are visiting family, the department will tell you if you need a sponsor or if you need to pay a security bond when you apply.

You might be granted a visa under this stream for regular extended visits to Australia if you are either:

    the parent or step-parent of an Australian citizen or permanent resident
    the parent of an eligible New Zealand citizen.

You could be asked to prove that you hold 12 months of health insurance cover.
Visitor visas for parents of Australians

Due to the length of the permanent Parent (Migrant) visa (subclass 103) queue, and the desirability of family reunion, the department may grant a more generous Visitor visa. You will automatically be considered for this if you are a parent or step-parent of:

    an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
    an eligible New Zealand citizen.

The department will consider these applications on a case-by-case basis and can grant visas that last up to:

  •     five years for parents outside Australia who are in the Parent (Migrant) visa (subclass 103) queue
  •     three years for parents outside Australia who have had a previous Australian visa and complied with the visa conditions, and either:
    •        have not applied for a Parent visa
    •        have applied for a Parent visa (subclass 103) but are not yet in the Parent visa queue
    •        18 months for parents who have not previously travelled to Australia and either
    •        have not applied for a Parent visa, or
    •         have applied for a Parent visa (subclass 103) but are not yet in the Parent visa queue.

The visa will have 3 extra visa conditions:

  1.     Maximum 12 month stay in 18 months: You cannot stay in Australia for more than 12 months on any visit or for more than 12 months in any 18-month period.
  2.     Health insurance: You must maintain fully comprehensive health insurance while you are in Australia. You could be asked to provide evidence of 12 months health insurance cover when you apply. Reciprocal health arrangements are not adequate to meet this requirement.
  3.     No further stay: You cannot apply for a new visa while you are in Australia. You must leave Australia no later than the date on which your visa ends, except in extremely limited circumstances.


Extending Your Stay:

To remain longer in Australia than your original visa allows, you are required to obtain another visa. If you want to remain in Australia for tourism or recreational purposes or to visit family or friends, you may apply for a Visitor visa.

Generally, as a holder of a Visitor visa or Working Holiday visa you can only extend your stay in Australia so that the total duration of your stay is 12 months or less, unless there are exceptional circumstances. If you hold a Visitor or Working Holiday visa which allows you to stay in Australia for 12 months, you should contact your nearest Australian visa office before applying for a Visitor visa.

You should also note that a further visa, if granted, will cease any visa or ETA currently held and the entitlements attached to that visa or ETA.

If you are refused a further visa, you must leave Australia before the expiry of your original visa.
See: Tourist (e676) Visa – Online Applications


Should you require professional advice or further information, please contact us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or give us a phone call on +61-2-81880740 and speak to our Registered Migration Agent Mr. Biwek Thapa MARN 0747526.


"Mr Biwek Thapa, Managing Director of Opal Consultancy was awesome to work with. When I applied by myself, my brother’s tourist visa was rejected. I was so stressed since my parents’ visa had already been granted and we could not enjoy our time here without my brother. We lost hope. Then I came here to Mr Thapa and talked to him and explained our situation. He is so responsible and dedicated to his cases.  His response to emails was so quick, his efficiency was amazing.  Within 3 weeks of applying, our brother’s visa was granted. Thank you Mr Biwek Thapa."

Rufeena Tandukar

Make an Enquiry
First Name*
Last Name*
Contact Number
Country of Passport
Service Required
Referral Source
Name of Referrer (if relevant)
Lead Source
Your Message
Enter the Captcha

btn consumerguide

Subscribe to the Opal Consulting newsletter


Tell us what you think

How do you rate consultancies (education & migration)?

518207577 [{"id":"1","title":"On the basis of service","votes":"25","type":"x","order":"1","pct":45.45,"resources":[]},{"id":"2","title":"On the basis of price","votes":"7","type":"x","order":"2","pct":12.73,"resources":[]},{"id":"3","title":"On the basis of knowledge","votes":"17","type":"x","order":"3","pct":30.91,"resources":[]},{"id":"4","title":"On the basis of personal relation","votes":"6","type":"x","order":"4","pct":10.91,"resources":[]}] ["#ff5b00","#4ac0f2","#b80028","#eef66c","#60bb22","#b96a9a","#62c2cc"] gpie 200 200 /component/communitypolls/? MSG_ERROR_NO_SELECTION Please select either existing option or enter your own, however not both. MSG_THANK_YOU_NO_RESULTS COM_COMMUNITYPOLLS_LABEL_ANSWERS Votes ...

What our clients say about us

A very big thanks for Mr Biwek Thapa and Mr Binesh for helping me to get my Permanent Residence visa .   I lost the hope but u guys make it possible. I remember i went to others to review my file and i didn't…


Dear Biwek I would like to thank all the team members of opal consulting especially Biwek Thapa and Binesh Shrestha for their great and professional work and helping me from beginning to get our permanent residency.   Good Job Well done Guys. I really appreciated.…


Rating: 20/10 I am tremendously thankful to OPAL CONSULTANCY, especially Wilson Sharma & Biwek Thapa for their effort, professional support and proper guidance in getting my parents visa (600). After having my parents visa application (600) refused for three (3) times already, I was extremely…


A big thanks to all the OPAL CONSULTING TEAM.I am delighted to get my husband (Mr. Sudin Kumar Maharjan Visa). Thank you so much especially to Binesh dai ( Binesh Shrestha).   I felt like I have known you are personally because of the way…


With a great deal of happiness and joy I and my wife are writing this email to express our heartfelt gratitude to you on your professional expertise , unending advices and unrelenting concern in the manner you handled our visa application .   We couldn't…


Opal consulting is a team of outcomefocussed migration consultant. They are well heeled in themigration rules, able to judge the complexity of each caseand guide with the right approach and advice.   I am happy at the way Biwek and his team have come through.They…


First of all, I would like to thank you and Opal Consulting team for their constant help and support throughout my application period.   Finally, I got my Permanent Residence Visa under 189 Skilled Migration Category on the 20th of September 2016.   The thought…


Please accept my gratitude for the patience and care with which you have handled my case. I definitely appreciate it. This is definitely a big burden off my shoulders.” I really appreciate your effort in handling our cases so professionally and so efficiently .  …


I was having difficulty whom to choose to apply for my wife and daughter visa. Everywhere i called or emailed gave me same answer that my case was difficult.   I had lost hope. But after I rang OPAL Consulting and spoke to Mr Binesh…


After wasting already a huge amount of time and money with so called migrant agent without enough knowledge professionals ideas and lots of negligence, we almost at the end of bridge. However as per my friend recommendation I contact Biwek Dai, that day which I…


Qualified and Registered Australian Immigration and Visa Consultants
logo MIA 300 AECA Logo 300
Member of
Migration Alliance