Overseas Student Program (OSP) is a program run by the Australian Government under which people who are not Australian residents (ie neither an Australian citizen nor an Australian permanent resident) can apply for student visa to come and study in Australia.
The key objectives of the OSP are to:
- Increase export revenue by promoting Australia’s education and training systems overseas
- Promote goodwill and an international understanding of Australia, which are crucial assets for Australia’s future trade and security
- Develop bilateral relations through contributions to the social and economic development of countries, particularly those in the Asia-Pacific region (this is achieved through the bilateral sponsored program administered by AusAID)
- Provide opportunities for students from developing countries for study in Australia by awarding Australian government and institution sponsorships and
- Provide cultural and economic benefits to Australia through genuine overseas students studying in Australia.